Summary List PlacementNewly-obtained emergency call logs help fill out the last months of Tony Hsieh’s life in Park City, Utah, where the tech entrepreneur had relocated during this summer amid the pandemic, surrounding by a gaggle of new associates and hosting a succession of parties. 
On at least two occasions, Hsieh’s behavior became so concerning — including breaking things in his house and threatening to hurt himself during an August incident, according to the logs— that emergency personnel were called.
Hsieh died November 27 in Connecticut following injuries he sustained in a house fire more than a week prior.
His death, ruled an accident, followed a chaotic year that included his abrupt August departure as Zappos CEO after 21 years. In his final months, Hsieh relocated from Las Vegas to Park City, where he snapped up millions of dollars of residential homes, became fascinated with fire, and inhaled nitrous oxide, as Business Insider and others reported in the last week. 
Call records to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, which handles dispatch for Park City, show a number of calls from friends and neighbors over the summer. The call logs were obtained by Business Insider on Wednesday through an information request to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office. 
A representative for Hsieh’s family declined to comment.
See more: Tony Hsieh sold Zappos for $1.2 billion in his 30s. He was dead by 46. Inside his final Park City months, where he hoped to deliver more happiness as he spiraled.
On the morning of June 30, a male friend of Hsieh’s, who asked 911 to remain anonymous, called and said Hsieh had broken several things in his house and was threatening to hurt himself. The call was coded as a psychiatric incident, per the call logs. Emergency services made contact with Hsieh on his patio and got him out of the home, then transported him to the hospital.
In the evening, someone called and said they were concerned about Tony being released from the hospital. “If he gets released it will be a problem,” the dispatcher wrote. The caller wanted to “make sure the hospital staff understand the situation fully.” 
It’s unclear exactly where Hsieh was taken; the area has one hospital, and its spokeswoman declined to comment, citing privacy regulations.
Later in the summer, emergency services received another concerned call that was, like the first, placed by an anonymous male friend. 
In the early evening of August 14, the friend told 911 that his “high-profile” friend was “very paranoid” and he was concerned for Hsieh’s safety. The friend had last talked with Hsieh by text in July and said staff had taken Hsieh’s phone; Hsieh told friends he was undergoing a digital detox, per Forbes. 
On the phone with 911, the friend referenced Hsieh’s use of nitrous oxide, which can cause an intense, but short-lived high when inhaled directly. He asked for a call back after a check on Hsieh, and noted that Hsieh employed a private security force. 
About half an hour later, the dispatcher said he made contact with one of Hsieh’s relatives, who said everything was under control. The relative would call back later, and emergency services would check on Hsieh. 
Loved ones had attempted to stage interventions in recent months, Forbes reported, and on the day before the November fire, Hsieh made plans to check into a rehabilitation clinic, according to the Wall Street Journal. 
See more: Tony Hsieh was more than a successful CEO — he was also a giver, community builder, and visionary ahead of his time
“Music blasting” on Labor Day and a recent break-in
Apart from concerned friends, the call logs also show more about Hsieh’s day-to-day life in Park City. In June, someone complained about construction noise outside of designated quiet hours, but deputies found the construction crew had an exception permit for their work. 
On Labor Day, a neighbor called with a noise complaint – “music blasting” – around 8:30 p.m. The dispatcher noted it was “the same location we have been out to before” – Hsieh’s 9-bedroom mansion that hosted dinners and bonfires. 
The next day, the fire department went to the house to look at a hot air balloon shooting flames, as Business Insider previously reported. It wasn’t clear if something had gone wrong with the balloon, or what it was doing at the residential property on a Tuesday night — the report only notes that no one required medical attention and that emergency responders left after 45 minutes. 
Emergency services have continued to be involved with Hsieh’s estate after his death. On Saturday afternoon, someone broke into a house under construction, near Hsieh’s main mansion. The comment said that it was unclear if anything was stolen. 
If you’re experiencing a mental health crisis, the National Institute of Mental Health has a number of resources here. SEE ALSO: Tony Hsieh, the late former CEO of Zappos, famously pioneered the concept of paying new, unhappy employees $2,000 to quit in order to maintain a happy, productive workforce
Join the conversation about this story »
Read More